Frequently Asked Owner Questions

Our most commonly asked owner questions

What is your Covid19 policy?

Please take a look at our Covid19 blog for our latest information on managing bookings during the pandemic.

Where can I find information on owner responsibilities during the Covid19 pandemic?

For an overview of housekeeping guidelines please click here. However, for more information on cleaning protocols, standards and useful templates for risk assessments and checklists, take a look on the Professional Association of Self-Caterers website. 

If you have any questions or would like any help with your plans for re-opening for guests, please get in touch and we'd be happy to help. 

How long have you been managing property lettings?

Twenty five years.

How many weeks of the year can I expect my property to be let?

This will differ depending on the property, but on average, we aim to let a new property for approx. 20 weeks during the first year.

What rental can I expect to receive a week?

We can discuss this as it will vary depending on the property.

Will the rental income vary depending on the time of year?

Yes, the income will be higher during the peak holiday periods.

How much commission do you charge?

18% + VAT

How soon can I get my property on your books?

Immediately. We will visit the property and write up the desciption and take photos. Once you have approved these, we can put the property online.

When will my property be showing in your brochure and on your web-site?

Our brochure is updated annually, so we can advise when it will next be going to print. Your property can be live on our website within 24 hours of receiving the above information.

Can you recommend someone to clean and look after my property for me?

We can arrange cleaning and maintenance.  Please ask for details regarding the charges as these will vary depending on the property, or click here to see our current cleaning tariff.

In the case of an emergency at the property (ie. no electricity), who would the guests contact?

We will be the first point of call for any emergencies or problems and will advise you accordingly, depending on the time of day and nature of the emergency.

What happens if guests leave the property in a mess on departure?

A cleaning deposit is taken with every booking. We feel this acts as both a deterrent and also funds any extra cleaning costs that may be required.

Also, through instinct and years of experience, we aim to avoid, wherever possible, booking any unsuitable guests into your property.

Are there any restrictions as to when I can take holidays in my property?

No, it's entirely up to you. However, it’s worth considering the rental income of your property for the week you are planning on taking your holiday.

What type of mortgage do I need to let my property for self-catering purposes?

‘Holiday Let’ Mortgages are available but we would strongly recommend discussing the options with your financial advisor.

If I decide to live in this property for a few months each year, will I need to transfer to a different type of mortgage? Can this be done easily?

We would recommend discussing this with your financial advisor.

What legal checks/certificates will I need to have?

The Following certificates must all be up to date:-

  • EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)
  • Gas Certificate (If relevant)
  • Fire Risk Assessment
  • Buildings & Contents Insurance including Public Liability for Holiday Letting.
  • PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) Certificate.
Do I still have to pay business rates if I don’t let my property for more than 140 days of the year?

If your property is available for short-term lets for 140 days or more a year, it will be rated as a self-catering property and therefore liable for business tax. (A property is classed as self-catering by the period that it is available for NOT the period it is let for).

So if my property is available for less than 140 days of the year, will I still need to pay business rates?

No, you will need to advise the Valuation Office Agency (Tel 03000 501 501).  You will then be required to pay Council Tax instead of business rates on the property. You are not required to pay both.